How We Teach English
At St Lawrence Primary School, our aim is for children to acquire the knowledge, skills and understanding in English to enable them to express their ideas fluently, confidently and imaginatively, both verbally and in writing, and to become fluent readers, showing an increasingly mature understanding of a wide range of challenging texts.
English teaching at THPT is guided by the aims of the National Curriculum for English.
All pupils should:
- read easily, fluently and with good understanding
- develop the habit of reading widely for pleasure and information
- acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas
- be competent in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate.